English Proficiency Options
If your native language is not English, you are required to submit proof of English proficiency by submitting one of the following:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum score of 70 on the Internet-based (iB) test or 523 on the paper-based (PB) test is required for full admission. Please use the University of Dayton's institution code 1834 when requesting your TOEFL score from Educational Testing Service (ETS).
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A minimum Band 6.0 score is required for full admission.
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE). A minimum score of 55 is required for full admission.
- English Language Proficiency Test (ELPT). A minimum score of 956 is required for full admission.
- Advanced Placement International English Language (APIEL) Examination. A minimum score of three (3) is required for full admission.
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). A minimum critical reasoning score of 550.
- American College Testing (ACT). A minimum English score of 24.
If you are academically qualified but do not meet the minimum score requirements listed above, you may be conditionally admitted to the University with the agreement that you will attend, full time, UD's Intensive English Program (IEP). Upon successful completion of our IEP program or achievement of an institutional TOEFL score of 70 (IB) or 523 (PB) or the equivalent, full admission will be granted.
International students have the option of supporting their TOEFL or IELTS score through an unscripted interview with a company such as InitialView. The University of Dayton does not require applicants to submit an interview, but it can provide us with additional information to evaluate you along with your official application. Students who pursue this option are responsible for scheduling the interview and paying any associated fees.