Thank you for your interest in Lalanne!
Lalanne, a post-graduate teacher service program, specializes in supporting beginning Catholic school educators by combining service and teaching.
Lalanne teachers make a two-year commitment to teach in an under-resourced Catholic school, live together in a faith-based community, and pursue professional and spiritual/personal development. Under-resourced schools are identified as those schools primarily in urban or rural areas that struggle to attract young, faith-filled teachers.
Service in Lalanne is a commitment to making a difference in the lives of children who face unique challenges in their school and community settings. Named in honor of Marianist Brother, Father Jean Baptiste Lalanne, the Lalanne program is an initiative of the Center for Catholic Education in the School of Education & Health Sciences at the University of Dayton.
Lalanne offers students six different graduate degree options: Teacher as Leader, Interdisciplinary Educational Studies, Technology-Enhanced Learning, Literacy, Mathematics Education, and Interdisciplinary Educational and Religious Studies. Read more about our academic program options!
Lalanne 2016-17 cohort by the numbers
- 25 teachers total (20 females, 5 males)
- 11 first-year teachers
- 14 second-year teachers
- 11 teachers are from the University of Dayton
- 14 teachers are from 10 other colleges and universities: Canisius College (NY), Indiana University (IN), Miami University (OH), Murray State (KY), St. Bonaventure (KY), St. Mary's College (IN), St. Thomas University (TX), University of Maryland (MD), Waynesburg University (PA), and Xavier University (OH)
- 5 communities in 3 states (Ohio, Indiana & Michigan)
- 16 schools (14 teachers at 11 grade schools, 11 teachers at 5 high schools)
Did you know?: Lalanne has had 170 graduates since the program started in 1999. Of those graduates, 88% are still in education. Among that group, 85% are still in Catholic Education.
Follow along with a first-year teacher and second-year teacher as they experience summer courses in the Lalanne program, get their classrooms ready and make a difference as teachers in Catholic schools: